Straight talk about Islam
Jan. 28th, 2011 11:25 amColonel West tells it like it is.
I believe in a world that works for everyone, with no one left out. This includes religious freedom. But it's time to stop calling Islam a religion of peace, when it is clearly founded on principles of death and terror and conquest and bloodshed and subjugation of women and infidels.
I call on Muslims everywhere to publicly declare that they repudiate the philosophy of conquest and dhimmitude. I call on the body of Muslims in the world to root out the violent from among them, cut off their funding, isolate them from society, and excommunicate them from their supposed faith.
Then, and only then, will I believe that Islam is a religion of peace.
I believe in a world that works for everyone, with no one left out. This includes religious freedom. But it's time to stop calling Islam a religion of peace, when it is clearly founded on principles of death and terror and conquest and bloodshed and subjugation of women and infidels.
I call on Muslims everywhere to publicly declare that they repudiate the philosophy of conquest and dhimmitude. I call on the body of Muslims in the world to root out the violent from among them, cut off their funding, isolate them from society, and excommunicate them from their supposed faith.
Then, and only then, will I believe that Islam is a religion of peace.
no subject
Date: 2011-01-28 09:52 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2011-01-28 10:18 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2011-01-29 01:03 am (UTC)Indeed. And from where I sit, the Jihadists are winning the hearts and minds of mainstream Islam.
no subject
Date: 2011-01-29 01:16 am (UTC)He convinced me that not all Muslims were bad, not all of them hate woman and think we are only here to serve them. I truly believe that he was one of the few that do believe that Islam is a peaceful religion.
I chalk the ones who lump every Muslim into the Jihadist group as the same people who lump all Wiccans in with Satanists or all Christians in with the Crazy-Cult Christians.
no subject
Date: 2011-01-30 04:29 pm (UTC)http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1445/little-support-for-terrorism-among-muslim-americans
You may want to check your sources. There's more at Pew Research, like these:
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/26/where-terrorism-finds-support-in-the-muslim-world
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1817/muslim-networks-western-europe-event-transcript
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1814/muslim-public-opinion-hamas-hezbollah-al-qaeda-islam-role-in-politics-democracy
no subject
Date: 2011-01-30 07:33 pm (UTC)Believe me, I want nothing more than to be hopeful about the prospects of peaceful coexistence of all faiths - but turning a blind eye to reality and to cease to be vigilant in the face of a real threat to western civilization is cavalier and foolish.
no subject
Date: 2011-01-30 10:43 pm (UTC)http://pewglobal.org/database/?indicator=19&survey=10&response=Often/sometimes%20justified&mode=table
I read this as support for sucicide attacks is going down as a general trend. The vast differences between the different countries also show, that Islam on its own can not explain the findings. There must be other factors involved.
There are many things going wrong. Amongst them is that, depending on the country, 25% to 60%(!) of the Muslims do not believe that 9/11 was carried out by a group of Arabs (page 51 [2]). It's worse in Europe than in the US. So we are dealing with seriously misinformed people here, who are missing/distrusting vital information.
P.S.: More detailed results are
[1]http://pewglobal.org/files/pdf/253.pdf
[2]http://pewresearch.org/assets/pdf/muslim-americans.pdf
no subject
Date: 2011-01-30 10:50 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2011-01-31 04:14 pm (UTC)No question that people are being misinformed or misled, which is a natural consequence of a decentralized authority. When people like Khomenei or Muqtada al-Sadr are allowed to become local gods, what they say is interpreted as law. Tragically, while Islam long had a reputation for being guardians and disseminators of knowledge, today's Islamic world largely dedicated to keeping its population in ignorance of anything except the Qur'an.
no subject
Date: 2011-01-28 11:27 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2011-01-29 07:04 am (UTC)"[We] believe that all life should self-determine. The Heretics have chosen a path that prevents this. They must be stopped."
(written from memory as I can't find his lines anywhere online)
Though in my opinion, stopping them has several possibilities, including winning them over to another, less violent religion, like Christianity, Buddhism, etc.
no subject
Date: 2011-01-29 09:01 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2011-01-30 05:48 am (UTC)Because if we're going to start pointing fingers at other beliefs' fault for not quelling their 'crazies'....
no subject
Date: 2011-01-30 10:18 am (UTC)A pox on Phelps and fundies of all stripes and creeds
no subject
Date: 2011-01-30 07:40 pm (UTC)If the mainstream Islamic world would treat Jihadistan with the same disdain, the insurgents would find their funds dried up, their movements micro-analyzed and their effectiveness neutralized.
Mainstream religions and their moral philosophies are probably best discussed under another head...
no subject
Date: 2011-02-05 08:16 pm (UTC)One of the members of Furstralia is muslim. When he found out that I'm a sevvy he asked if his being a muslim "would be a problem." I replied "Of course not" but it worried me greatly to hear him ask such at thing. I respect the faith and sincerity of people who are not in my church, and expect them to return that respect.